Monday, March 24, 2014

Free Release: Mo Kolours self titled LP "Mo Kolours"



If you're not up on your UK-based, underground, alternative-soul (and that's most of us here in the US), then it's very likely that you've never heard of Mo Kolours. When I stumbled across the Producer/Singer/Percussionist earlier today, I really had no clue what to expect. When I clicked play on "Brixton House," the first track of his first full LP, the self titled Mo Kolours, I was greeted by a drum beat that instantly reminded me of some of Ann Arbor based Shigeto's more minimalistic work, supplemented by an insanely smooth chord progression that captivated me for all of two and a half minutes of the track. On the next track, "Little Brown Dog" Mo shows off his singing chops, as well as an unusual but entrancing steel drum sample. I am unclear as to whether these were samples of his own sounds, or a traditional record chop, but either way Mo assembles his sounds in a beautifully messy way, constructing a cacophony that weaves in and out of mass discord, continuously assembling and dissembling itself. As the album progressed, I was also struck by how straightforward and unpretentious Mo's voice is. He sings each track like he has nothing to prove; there are little to no embellishments, save a warbling vibrato present in a few tracks.

As far as a lasting impression goes, I'll have to give a few more listens to Mo Kolours to get an idea of how long it will last me, but the LP has made a very good first impression.

Download the Mo Kolours LP here.

No comments:

Post a Comment